Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Busy Weekend


The purpose of our trip up North this weekend was to say our final goodbyes to Grandma - she passed away in January. We weren't sure we were even going to make it at one point. Unfortunately we didn't know anything about the torrential rains that swept through central Indiana until we were witnessing the after-effects. As we got closer to Terre Haute, we finally picked up a local radio station and were astonished to hear Vigo county was under a state of emergency for flooding. Sure enough there was water streaming over 41 and rescue boats were coming and going with people and pets. It was surreal. We were right in the middle of a scene straight out of the television. People were standing on the edge of 41, wrapped in blankets and cuddling their pets. Apartment buildings had become islands and a car had drifted into a ditch. We made it through, but then encountered more problems trying to head East on I-70, which was washing away. Hours later we arrived at our hotel in Lebanon with the rest of the family arriving shortly after. Everyone had their own story to tell, but mostly we were all just happy to be done traveling and together.



Several people met Gabe for the first time, including my brother,his wife and his son. It was fun to finally share him with them in person. All three boys had a great time and entertained everyone in our group - and other groups at the hotel as well, I think. Sunday afternoon was the memorial service and final burial of Grandma's ashes. Mike and Dad had their guitars and sang Grandma's favorite hymns. She was a beautiful and courageous lady who has been greatly missed. She had so many great qualities. She certainly perservered through more than her share of family crises and was the glue that held it all together. She had a temper that was formidable, but quick to dissipate and she didn't hold a grudge that I knew of. All are qualities I can only hope to aspire to, but probably the two qualities I admire most would be here adventurous spirit and her ability to laugh at herself. I certainly make more than my share of mistakes, but don't always like to acknowledge them - it would be far better if I could laugh at them and move on. I'm working on it.
**Note on laughing at oneself - I'll let Mom fill you in on her "funny" moment at the memorial. Mom?

Yesterday Josh and the older boys went down to the Children's Museum of Evansville. When they picked me up from work, I figured from the boys' faces they had a good time. No, it was not the excited smiles or little voices telling me about their adventures, rather it was the paint! Kendrick was painted up as a pirate. Justin had his initials "tattooed" on his arm. Not too surprising he didn't want the face paint. I am impressed he let Josh paint his arm. They had a late lunch at IHOP and then got in several rounds of Super Mario Brothers on Josh's vintage Nintendo. All in all, I'd say it sounded like a great "guys day". Since returning from North Carolina, the boys seem to think they need an "agenda" each day. Thanks Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

Grandma Carolyn said...

Your welcome.
As to the funny moment at the memorial service and laughing at myself - The service was about to begin and someone asked where the urn with Mom's ashes was, then it hit me, I had left it in the car. Sorry Mom, you were almost late for your own funeral. Peg says she would have thrown up both arms, laughing, and said "OHHH".
If anyone wonders who Peg looks like, you should see a picture of my mom, her grandmother, when she was younger. Peg will have to post one of Mom and herself.