Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I just finished reading a Mother's Day blog update from some good friends in Indy, who we have so much in common with. She included an excerpt from another blog of a Mother of a special needs child and I have been in tears. I can't put those emotions into words so eloquently and you all have heard me talk about some of my own experiences with all three boys, so I am going to switch gears a little. Here's the segue first - in this excerpt it talked about strength. Strength to do what you didn't think you could. I have learned a little about that over the past 8 years since I first learned I was going to be initiated into motherhood, and especially over the last two. Those are my personal experiences, but surely if I was paying attention, I have been learning for much longer.

I come from a long distinguished line of strong women. Women who have had much to teach about grace under pressure, moments of weakness (We are also known for our tempers) and sacrifice. I love my Dad and my brothers, but Mom and I stuck together when they were gone for various reasons and found that we could run things on our own. Ok, she ran things and I tried not to be a rotten teenager. But it didn't go unnoticed. She worked, stocked the fridge, made it to track meets, fixed the furnace, fixed the dryer, changed the lightbulbs, mowed the grass, left sub sandwiches in my car when I had too many things going on to eat, came to my concerts, left me surprise jelly bellies when our schedules didn't mesh for a while...ok, so what did I do? It takes a lot of work not to be a rotten teenager! She took care of everything, leaving little time for herself and the things she loved to do just for her. With a father and two brothers in the military and in or near harms way, I still got to be a kid and enjoy high school. She did what had to be done so I could carry on with as much normalcy as possible. I got myself up and out the door every morning (she was gone for work before I was up) and that was my major contribution. But from watching her, I learned how to do that, as well as how to keep my calendar up to date so I knew where I had to be and when. I learned to juggle sports practice, music rehearsals, a part time job and homework. I tried not to add anything else to her long list of worries, but on our Sunday afternoon late lunch/early dinner dates I also learned to slow down for a minute and enjoy a little time together. We made it a priority, so I also learned a little about seizing those moments when you can, or making them happen. I learned that loving somebody else often means giving little pieces of yourself away, whether it is your friends, spouse, children, siblings or anyone who is important to you. I also learned it is ok to stand your ground when necessary. She rarely asked for help. I always knew I was loved and that she was proud of me. All children should be so lucky.

I got to experience so many amazing things my friends didn't - especially the summers I spent with HER mother. Another very strong, stubborn, adventurous and gracious woman. I think I am strong, know that I am stubborn, strive to be adventurous and am working on graciousness. I think those summers were my most "free-spirited". I lived the teenage girl dream of riding horses in "the wilderness" and exploring without a lot of rules or constraints. I learned to play poker, square dance a little, hiked mountain trails and snuck a few romance novels. I watched my Grandma enjoy life and care for another life that was growing more fragile as the years moved on. She had done it all in my eyes - run a store, run a family, picked up and moved out west, cared for others, cared for herself. She always did the best she could with what she had. That's what I saw.

There have been lots of strong women in my life and I am trying to learn from all of them. I've made mistakes and I'll make more. I pray that God and Guardian Angels watch over my children when I can't, or when the eyes in the back of my head malfunction. I pray that I can live up to these amazing women and raise kind, considerate, adventurous young men some day. The excerpt I mentioned at the beginning talked of strong women. I hope that I am one, and think most days I make it to that goal...but I'll be the first to admit that whatever strength I display is not self made. It is inherited and it was learned. The foundation was laid by others, I have only to build on it.

Thanks MOM!! Happy Mother's Day and Godspeed you on your "adventure" to Qatar! I'll miss you, but because of you, I'll be fine!

2 comments:

Grandma Carolyn said...

This is by far the best Mother's Day gift I have ever received. You are right, we come from a line of strong women who not always do the expected, are not perfect, but do what needs to be done with love.

Grandma Carolyn said...

Peg, you were probably too good as a teenager, tried too hard to be good,and if I haven't told you how much I appreciated your help at he time,I do now. I was glad to see you break out of the "good girl" mode at least a little when you got your belly button ring. I am so proud of the mother you are, wish I could have had your patience and your ability to let your boys do things for you and themselves and not require perfection at first. Your daughter-in-laws are going to thank you.